It is commonly used in Bilge Pumps on ships because it does not create a “churning” effect else it is difficult to separate the oil and water in OWS.
- It is used for stripping duties
- Able to creates a very high vacuum
- Property of self-priming in nature
- It ensures the smooth flow with no churning effect
- It can handle any liquid even air or gas
Note:- The rate of discharge is low but the pressure is high because it is a positive displacement pump, so a relief valve is required on the discharge side
The accumulator is fitted on the discharge side to avoid pulsation so that continuous flow is there.
As the discharge pressure rises, the air is compressed in the accumulator and as the pressure falls, the air expands. The peak pressure energy is thus stored in the air and returned to the system when pressure falls.
Troubleshoot in Reciprocating pump
- Reciprocating Pump sucking air and lot of noise is coming
- Check the bucket ring, it may get worn out
- Thoroughly check the piston rod.
- Search for gland packing leakages.
- Check if the pump is sucking air
- Motor starts to rotate slowly.
- Reciprocating Pump quantity discharge low
- The bucket ring might get worn out.
- The liner is worn out
- Too much tightening of gland packing is done.
3. Reciprocating pump overload
- High specific gravity, high viscosity , high-density fluid to be lifted
- Voltage fall and excessive discharge lift.
- The pump discharge valve is clogged.
- The pump valve has malfunctioned.
Checks to be done while overhauling the reciprocating pump
- Valve to be lapped with fine grinding paste with seat.
- Shaft should be inspected, accumulator, bucket, bucket ring and liner to be checked.
- Check the gland packing for its proper condition
- Check whether the rod is bent or not, corroded or not and repair it accordingly.